Built between 1877 and 1885, this relic of the Victorian era is one of the few remaining examples of 19th Century Mansard style architecture in Los Angeles. Its exterior wood craftsmanship and decorative detail are distinctive.
When demolition threatened in 1971, the Cultural Heritage Foundation moved the building from Johnston Street, west of Lincoln Park to Heritage Square. A rare coral tree at the Johnston Street site was also rescued through the efforts of the Bel Air Garden Club. Building and tree subsequently were dedicated in honor of Mrs. Valley Knudsen, civic worker and founder of Los Angeles Beautiful, the urban beautification program promoted by the city Chamber of Commerce.
The Hale House || The Knudsen House || The Octagon House || Lincoln Avenue Church
This information is presented by Bob Taylor Properties, Inc. as a Community Service.
Please contact Heritage Square 626-449-0193 with inquiries.