Take the Treasures of Garvanza Tour...
History of Garvanza ||
Church of the Angels||
Greenshaw Residence ||
Condron Residence ||
Adams Residence ||
Dr. Williams Residence ||
This Craftsman style house was constructed in 1907 by Robert M. and Mary A. Adams. Mr. Adams was the secretary and treasurer of the Los Angeles Gas & Electric Company. The home is a text book example of the Craftsman style of architecture with its shingled walls and horizontal proportions. The property was next owned by the Andrews family (Helen and Hazel, later Chatella and Hazel) from 1913 through World War II. A 1913 building permit for a garage gives their address as Hermosa Beach. Perhaps that is where they moved from. Helen and Hazel were described in the 1917 City Directory as students; where and what they studied is not known. Furthermore, it is not known if they were sisters or mother and daughter.
"Treasures of Garvanza" was a walking tour of historical properties presented by Highland Park Heritage Trust on October 23, 1999.